Major spotlight: Feel the chemistry? Toxicology may be for you

For students with an aptitude for chemistry and scientific research, the toxicology major is a practical option.

This degree guides graduates to graduate programs, professional school and jobs at government agencies and other businesses in the industry.

The toxicology program at ULM is currently one of only seven programs in the nation. ULM’s toxicology program is the first one in the region.

The program is a part of ULM’s School of Pharmacy and allows students to study toxins along with their effects on people and the environment.

Taylor Ashworth, sophomore toxicology major, finds the major unique but also notes a recent increase in demand for graduates with the degree.

“I have always wanted to help others behind the scenes and becoming a forensic toxicologist is a great way to achieve those goals,” Ashworth said.

Kevin Baer, toxicology department head, says that the program allows a lot of ways for students to go with its available concentrations. Baer encourages students with a passion for chemistry to consider the major.

“Biochemistry is where it all starts,” Baer said.

Four doctorate toxicology majors also help to run laboratories and help train undergraduate students to do research.

Tau Omicron Chi serves as the student organization for all toxicology majors.  The organization is a professional and social club. The department says non-toxicology majors are also welcome.

Non-majors can also participate in meetings and help with community projects such as the Bayou Clean-up Day.

Recent graduates have pursued careers in crime laboratories, government agencies, consulting firms, environmental groups, education and other fields.

Anthony Tromatore, a recent ULM alumnus, said the program prepared him for the real world.

“It helps me teach real world, hands-on labs,” Tromatore said.

Tromatore graduated from ULM’s toxicology program in 2007 and now is head of the science department at St. Frederick Catholic High School.

Students can choose a focus in environmental science, industrial hygiene or forensics. The department is currently in the process of adding a fourth concentration in food safety.

The department continues to grow and to accommodate the needs of students by partnering with businesses to provide students with the capability for laboratory research, field experience, internships and skills that will prepare graduates for a possible future career with these businesses.

Opportunities range from a study to identify and to reduce pollutants in Bayou Desiard, to the collection of organisms such as fish that help reveal the pollution levels in a body of water or assisting farmers that struggle with fertilizers.