Cake face can be too sweet to handle

The average woman takes over 20 minutes to get ready, and most women would agree that a vital part of getting ready each day is putting on make-up. Women spend an average of $15,000 on make-up in their lifetimes.

Cosmetics vary a great deal in price. Some foundations cost only $10, while others cost upwards of $100. The products also range in quality, and some of the most expensive products are only intended for professional use rather than daily wear.

Myraji Ramero, a junior communications major, says she wears make up almost every day. Ramero uses MAC, and spends almost $70 on her everyday cosmetics. She justifies the cost saying that the products last a long time.

Scarlett Ramsey, of Bloody Vixen Cosmetics, has been doing make up professionally for models and haunted houses for three years. Ramsey recommends that women go without make up for a day or two during the week to prevent break outs.

Ramsey says that she always recommends a good BB cream for women because it has necessary moisturizers and sun block to keep skin looking healthy.

Getting the right product is only half the battle. Make-up can be used to make an infinite number of “looks.” The smokey eye, cat eye and nude look are only the tip of the iceberg.

“There are times and places you wanna get dolled up and others you need to go without all that,” Ramsey said.

Women can achieve a variety of looks by highlighting different areas of the face with different tones and colors. A heavy layer blush will create a flushed appearance, while highlights can create the appearance of different contours of the face.

Jo’ Hillard, a sophomore nursing major says people assume women wear makup because they need it.

“I beg to differ. I wear because I simply enjoy doing it .It’s more of an enhancer for your natural beauty,”Hillard said.

Different circumstances call for different cosmetic standards, just as with attire. The night-at-the-club look might not be as appropriate for the office or the gym. Ramero says she thinks a girl is wearing too much make up if her face is a different color than her neck.

Ramsey says women should avoid caking make-up on because not only is it bad for skin, too much make-up does not help a woman enhance her facial features. In fact, too much make-up can even make someone look worse, not better.

According to Ramsey, women should avoid wearing make-up when working out. She also advises women to employ different looks for day and night.