Slide continues against Ragin’ Cajuns

Despite a great effort, the Warhawks fell short of a win in a 4-1 loss Friday night against the sixth nationally ranked UL-Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns.

ULM took an early 1-0 lead at the bottom of the first inning thanks to a triple off the wall from Justin Stawychny.

Anthony Herrera was hit by a pitch, advanced to second from a balk, then to third from a flyout. Herrera made it across home plate with ease after Stawychny’s hit to left center.

UL-L tied the contest in the top of the second as Chase Compton singled to left bringing in Caleb Adams.

The Ragin’ Cajuns took a 3-1 lead in the third off a two-RBI double from Tyler Girouard. Stawychny dove for the catch at the left field line, but came up short as two UL-L runners scored.

The Warhawks made contact multiple times against the Sun Belt preseason pitcher of the year Austin Robichaux, but only a few seemed to find openings in the field.

Knowing that UL-Lafayette is a big rival, and also the #6 team in the nation, head coach Jeff Schexanaider focused more on this being the first conference game for ULM.

“Having the goal to win a conference championship and when you’re at home you gotta win the series at home,” Schexanaider said after the loss.

Senior pitcher Chad Miller gave the Warhawks a needed boost striking out four UL-L batters and only allowing one run.

Miller echoed his coach after the game by saying they try not to look at their opponents as a rivalry or how good they are, but more through a conference view. The Warhawks have now fallen to UL-L eight straight times after this loss.

However, the coaches and players look at this as a fresh start and will take things from this game and improve on them throughout the weekend and season.

Schexanaider said, “We’re not satisfied with playing pretty good and losing.”

Schexandaider said he knows his guys want to win a championship but they have to find a way to “get some runs and get on a winning streak.”

[nggallery id=42]