Computer information systems offers best of both worlds

Students who seek to combine computer and business skills in their professions can do so through a computer information systems degree.

The degree gives students essential technical knowledge as well as business training in areas such as accounting, economics, finance, management and marketing.

Students gain proficiency in use of computers and combine that proficiency with a background in business.

The department requires students in the major to take the same core of business classes as all business majors. This requirement sets the major apart from the computer science major in that it includes a business element.

The program teaches students to create and to manage information technology systems or resources for organizations such as non-profit organizations, government agencies and corporations.

Career options for graduates include computer systems analyst, computer systems administrator, computer security specialist, network systems and data communication analyst and more in the business field.

Danera Brown, a sophomore computer information systems major, chose the major to enter into a “secure work field” where she says she will “never be out of a job.”

“There are a lot of fields in the future and now that use this major, not to mention technology is always growing,” Brown said.

The department accommodates students interesting in business through offering a double degree program in accounting and computer information systems

Students are required to take 150 credit hours to receive both bachelor degrees. Both degrees are in high demand by employers in today’s job market.

The double degree program strives to give graduates the ability to earn strong initial salaries.

In addition to the degree and the double degree option, ULM also offers a post baccalaureate certificate in computer information systems.

Joey Womack, a sophomore computer information systems major, attended a Women’s History Month presentation and learned that one of the speakers is a successful graduate of ULM’s computer information systems program.

“The CIS Program at ULM is a whole lot better than I even knew before I got into it…I’m pretty excited about being a part of it.”

Local businesses such as CenturyLink and St. Francis Medical Center also offer internships to students in the major.

Students work with local businesses to create mutually beneficial short-term projects to help with the businesses’ technology needs.