Vacationing on a budget made easy

Summer vacation is mere weeks away, and students are already gearing up for their summer trips. Although vacations are fun, they can also be expensive. Luckily, there are plenty of ways to save a few bucks when planning a trip.

Travelling is one of the most expensive features of any vacation. The cost of just getting there and back can be enough to deter students from leaving the house. A great way to avoid this cost is to vacation at home.

No matter where you live, there are bound to be plenty of attractions within a few miles. Book a cheap hotel and see the sights in places close to home.

Hilary Cordova, a junior Spanish major, is planning several trips this summer, including Austin, Atlanta and Shreveport. She avoids over-spending by setting a goal budget for the trip. She said that putting money into a savings account and setting aside certain amounts for gas and hotel rooms also helps.

“The way I don’t over-spend is planning for just enough to make it through the trip and not using any money that wasn’t set aside for that trip. It’s hard, and it’s discipline. But it’s worth it,” Cordova said.

Of course, hotels are never cheap, but camping is. Average park fees in national parks in America are only about $15. If the thought of a tent and no running water is too much, most campsites offer cabin stays as well, which are also much cheaper than the average hotel room.

Students who want to go on tours or cruises this summer can save a ton of money by booking at the last minute.

Cruise lines always offer incredible last-minute deals, and they usually throw in amenities, upgrades or even cash vouchers to make the deal even better.

A great way to save money is to hit up locations off the beaten path. Popular getaway destinations typically spike up the prices during peak vacation seas on.

lareThese extra costs can be avoide Amerd by thinking outside the box and going to different places.

Students should focus on the kind of trip they want and be flexible on the exact location and date in order to get better deals.

David Hall, a junior majoring in communication advocacy, said he is going on several trips with his church this summer, which are more cost effective than other trips. According to Hall, these trips can cost anywhere from $10 to $60 total.

He also said that he carries cash on vacations rather than a debit card so that he is not tempted to spend too much.

The first step to planning a vacation on a dime is to do plenty of research and get the best deal available. Having a general idea of how much travel and hotels cost is beneficial to budgeting a trip.

Students can save money by signing up for travel deal newsletters and following deal-oriented travel companies on Facebook or Twitter. STA Travel and Student Universe are known for offering fantastic trips for low costs through package deals and discounts on all aspects of travel.

Plenty of museums, parks and historical sites offer reduced rates for students. Purchasing an International Student Identity Card will help international travelers get student discounts abroad. Discounts can also be found when travelling with a group.

Travel sites usually have huge discounts on flights and hotels for groups of 10 or more people. Splitting the cost of the hotel rooms and other expenses can help students get more for their money on vacation.

Travel sites include Travelocity.com, Kayak.com, Expedia.com and Orbitx.com. These sites help viewers snag deals on hotels, flights and car rentals.