Heaven is For Real

If it doesn’t quite feel heaven-sent, it at least boasts elements that approach heavenly.

Based on a true story, Heaven is For Real, had its’ opening debut in theaters everywhere on Easter, Sunday April 16. A faith-embracing drama based on the 2010 best-seller by Todd Burpo and Lynn Vincent, Heaven Is for Real: A Little Boy’s Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back.  Heaven is For Real tells a story in which a young boy returns from near death with visions of the afterlife.

The movie collected $7.85 million, receiving a variety of mixed reviews. Many Christians gave rave reviews with complaints of the film and the visions and the beliefs portrayed in the movie.

“The movie was an amazing experience for me. It helped me ground my beliefs as a Christian,” said Chadwick Harrell, Sophomore Communications major. For many, reviews have showed that the film was enlightening for both believers and non-believers.

For others, nothing seemed “real” about Heaven is For Real. Several complaints flooded in prior to the premiere of the film showcasing false pretenses of Christianity. Some Christians were offended that producers and author, Todd Burpo shouldn’t have included scenes in the movie such as the young boy’s vision of heaven.  Viewers have said that the young boy’s description of Jesus Christ and scenes of heaven shouldn’t have been included in the film because it didn’t agree with every Christians’ beliefs of the afterlife.

“I didn’t feel the film was authentic. I didn’t agree with the scene where the young boy speaks of his spirit leaving his body during surgery, but he never “died.” Many viewers I’m sure, including myself, are confused and disturbed by the scene,” said Junior Graphic Arts major, Taja Carriere.

No matter where you fall under the religious spectrum, the reviews and rates of the film skyrocketed in theaters this past weekend. The film was budgeted a tad higher than God is Not Dead— both the most recent and most popular Christian movie in theaters before the debut of Heaven is For Real. Heaven is For Real surprisingly raised higher reviews and profited a remarkable income than expected as stated by many viewers. No matter your religion, both the movie and the book have received raving reviews definitely could be worth putting at the top of your to-do- list.