Pick your passion in Louisiana

New tourism ads will run next spring in Louisiana. Lt. Gov. Jay Dardenne announced the ads are ready to be released in national markets next year. 

These “Pick Your Passion” ads will encourage tourists in Louisiana to choose what experiences appeal to them whether it be the food and drink, shopping, activities, historic spots or a combination.

Next year’s ads will feature food special to Louisiana. 

Dardenne announced and previewed the ads in his speech to the Baton Rouge Press Club.

The Louisiana Office of Tourism already has ads available on YouTube. 

As international visitors have been a recent focus for the state, some of the videos are available in French, Spanish and German.

Louisiana hit an all-time tourism record in 2013 with 27.3 million visitors with $10.8 billion spent by these domestic and international travelers, according to Louisiana Office of Tourism and the Louisiana Tourism Forecast Report for 2014-2017 by the University of New Orleans.

Dawn Guillot, a junior pre-pharmacy major, worked at Duffy’s Shell in Pierre Part where she saw many international tourists.  The service station also serves as a convenience store, bait shop and crawfish dealership.  

The Landry family, from the reality television show “Swamp People” owns the shop. Guillot said around 50 to 60 people come each day to try to meet Troy Landry.

Guillot said that tourism in Louisiana gives her a sense of pride to know that so many people want to visit her home. 

She recommends that tourists visit different plantations since the state has plenty of history behind it.

“It really helps you see the bigger picture and help appreciate everything this lovely state has to offer,” Guillot said.

The Louisiana Travel web site offers information on activities, destinations, festivals and entertainment, food and hotel. 

The site includes a free travel guide, an interactive map and a calendar of upcoming events.

Caleb Adams is a senior modern language major. Adams said that he sees tourism in Louisiana as a real experience despite what “misleading” television shows portray of Louisiana.  

He said that visitors should take part in food and culture that shape the “wonderful and hospitable people in this misunderstood state.”  

“Louisiana has an enormous amount of beautiful facets, so don’t limit yourself to what all the other tourists are doing,” Adams said.

Adams also said that one could truly experience tourism in Louisiana with “total submersion and vulnerability to the unique culture.”

Adams’s advice for first-time visitors to Louisiana is to look past the mainstream of Mardi Gras and Bourbon Street and to take time to find the state’s “hidden jewels.” 

Visitors can talk to natives for ideas and suggestions for seafood restaurants and locations of wildlife and scenery.