Anonymous application aims for college campus

A social media application called Yik Yak became the anonymous talk of universities across the country.

The application aimed toward the college demographic recently gained popularity on campus.  The university was added to Yik Yak’s official list of universities.

As Yik Yak uses location services to show yaks posted by users in a 1.5-mile radius, students can see what users on or around campus post. 

Though the “Peek” option allows users to view yaks from other colleges and universities in the United States, users are unable to vote or reply unless they are within the specified radius of a campus.

This social media application offering anonymity was released in November 2013 by two Furman University graduates from South Carolina, Tyler Droll and Brooks Buffington.  

Luke Kemp, a sophomore accounting major, uses the application to see what people have to say that they might not normally.

“I like the app, while having some drawbacks, it can be really useful as to what’s on people’s mind. You may find some people that think the same way you do,” Kemp said.

However, he attributed its growing popularity to negative posts.

“People used it to talk trash about each other and people ate it up,” Kemp said.

Kemp said  he likes the anonymous factor because it helps him see how many people agree with him without knowing who the poster is. 

Kaitlyn Harville, a junior secondary English education major, does not use the application because she feels that it brings negativity to the campus.

“It lets insecure people downgrade other people,” said Harville, a junior secondary English education major.

Harville said she sees benefits to the application despite negative posts, as the application brings about awareness about campus events that students might not know about. otherwise.