History class revived for spring semester

African-American history is now being offered in the spring to all students. This is the first time in four years that the university has offered the class. Jeffrey Anderson, associate professor in the School of Humanities, will be the only professor teaching the class.

The class will go on a journey of class discussion, literature readings and lecture. The teachings will be primarily structured around African folk culture.

Anderson said he wants the class to be as interactive as much as he can make it. This isn’t the first time Anderson has taught the class. Anderson said African-American history is one of his favorite classes to teach.

“I really like the class because it tends to attract some of the best students on campus. It tends to have a lot of students who are interested,” said Anderson. “We tend to be able to look deeply into some of the material.”

Anderson said he wants the students to leave with a greater understanding of African-American history. In order to grasp the full understanding, Anderson said students must learn the history of early African civilization.

Lee Doyleis enrolled in the African- American class and hopes to learn a new perspective on history. To Doyle, it’s more than just remembering “old guys or simply memorizing dates.”

“History, at its core, is about people interacting with each other, sometimes that’s on the scale of whole nations while other times it’s simply between a small group of people interacting in various ways that ultimately creates history,” said Doyle, a sophomore history major.

The class will be interactive in a way that allows different observations to be discussed to others. Literature such as “Epic of Sundiata,” “Mules and Men” and “God, Dr. Buzzard, and the Bolito Man” are all readings that will challenge students to identify the comparisons and differences of African and African-American culture.