‘For Colored Girls’ lost effect with melodrama

For some, there has been talk that “For Colored Girls” may just be Oscar worthy, but others beg to differ.

“For Colored Girls” is not for the faint of heart, nor is it a feel-good movie. You won’t leave the theater feeling warm all over.

The film is based on the award-winning play, “For Col­ored Girls Who Have Consid­ered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf,” by Ntozake Shange. The play was part poem, part prose and part dance.

Tyler Perry adapted the cel­ebrated play for the screen.

He directed and produced the film as well. Perry holds noth­ing back in telling the stories of heartache and tragedy most African-American women expe­rience on a daily basis.

Unfortunately, drama be­comes melodramatic under Perry’s direction, and the viewer ends up leaving the theater with a strong sense of manipulated sadness.

The drama is so overwhelm­ing the viewer cannot take it all seriously.

The story follows eight wom­en, not all of them known to one another in the beginning, but their stories ultimately in­tertwine.

From infidelity to rape, un­wanted pregnancies to murder, they all have their fair share of tragedy. The film is graced with an all-star cast: Phylicia Rashad, Whoopi Goldberg and Janet Jackson, just to name a few.

However, with Perry’s direc­tion, the characters are too much caricature to be real. Jackson’s character, “Jo,” is a harsher “Mi­randa Priestly” (Meryl Streep) from the 2006 film “The Devil Wears Prada,” while Goldberg’s character, “Alice,” is a religious hoarder that is so crazy it’s dif­ficult to understand how she fits into the story at all.

The points of the film that should have been the most mov­ing and intense brought about more laughter from the audi­ence than tears.

The emotional pacing of the film is entirely off, and the end product is too over the top to be genuine.