Campus issues discussed over lunch with president

Student Government senators and faculty members joined President Nick Bruno for Lunch with the President on the 7th floor of the library last Friday to discuss current ULM issues.

Senators have been gathering information from fellow students throughout the semester, with events such as “Let’s Talk Warhawks.”

Senators take a white board to different locations around campus to get student’s feeback about different aspects of campus.

Its purpose is to encourage students to express their opinions and concerns so that these issues can be brought up at Lunch with the President.

SGA senators brought up several of those issues, including parking, new classes, graduation caps, the laundry system, the SUB Ballroom microphone system and the fate of Einstein Bros. Bagels.

A large item of discussion was the billboards that have been put up around the Monroe/West Monroe area proclaiming Monroe to be “Bulldog Country.”

These billboards were put up by Louisiana Tech Athletics, and they have drawn several complaints from ULM students and alumni.

“Monroe is not bulldog territory. And as a student with a lot of Warhawk pride, it makes me angry,” said Senator Shelbi Penny, as she asked administration if anything could be done.

Lisa Miller presented new bulletin boards to Senators at the luncheon.

She let students know that the issue has been addressed here at ULM.

“Lots of us got together and talked about whether we should respond to it. We didn’t want to be on the defensive, we just wanted to be more powerful and strong about who we are,” said Miller, assistant vice president of marketing, recruitment and communications.

According to Bruno, the Louisiana Tech billboards say positive things about ULM.

“ULM is getting a great deal of attention[…]across the state. There aren’t a lot of students to recruit in Ruston…the students to recruit are here in Ouchita Parish,” Bruno said.

Bruno urged SGA to organize a way to recognize local business that support ULM as well.