Air Force orchestra aims for high notes

The United States Air Force Concert Band and Singing Sergeants graced campus last week.

The band consists of 184 service men and women who are also trained and prepared to defend our country in a moment’s notice.

The concert consisted of a variety of music ranging from classical and patriotic to Southern Folk.

The band performs at hundreds of ceremonies throughout the year but their most cherished mission is the over 800 funerals a year for the great warriors who have lost their lives defending us.

The band performed songs such as “Black Horse Troop,” “Old Joe Clark,” “This is My Country,” “American Journey” and “Proud to Serve: A Patriotic Tribute.”

The Singing Sergeants performed “Southern Harmony.” The song honored country, blue grass and folk music and its history with songs from the Grand Ole Opry.

The band consists of six performing groups: Air Force Strings, Airmen of Note, Ceremonial Brass, Concert Band, Max Impact and Singing Sergeants.

Some lucky members of the ULM band also had a chance to perform with the band.

When asked about their performance with the band, senior music performance major Zackary Martin said, “To play with these professionals was an honor.”

Sean O’Pry senior music education said, “I loved it! It was a very great learning experience.”

The band also offered an ode to the all the veterans in attendance by playing the service music of each branch of the military and asking them to rise to be recognized and thanked for their service to our country.

The concert ended with a tribute to the service people who has given us the ultimate sacrifice with a song entitled “The Last Full Measure of Devotion.”

At the conclusion of the concert the band offered a special recognition to the director of the School of Visual Arts, Dr. Derle Long. Dr. Long was presented with a picture of the band at one of their Washington locations.