Ace the interview: learning to impress

Attendees jotted down notes as they were informed on interview preparation during Career Connection’s interview preparation workshop in the library Wednesday.

Students were instructed on creating a resume and taught about the negative effects social media can have on employment.

Anna Gasperecz of Career Connections told students they can always reach out to the them for help. The office posts jobs and internships, hosts career fairs, practices mock interviews and more.

“Your resume is your personal marketing tool. We call it a working document because it’s constantly being manipulated and worked on,” Gasperecz said.

Gasperecz explained how one’s resume includes skills, experience, volunteer work and other accomplishments.

She explained that a resume should not appear too flashy, but instead professional and easy to read. The order of jobs, layout of information and format is important so the employer can easily review an applicant’s information.

Keeping one’s information updated is key, said Gasperecz. She also encouraged everyone to use a professional email to inquire upon his or her application status from potential employers.

The workshop also focused on the importance of being prepared for interviews.

According to Gasperecz, a job seeker should always show up early and come with all necessary documents. Being late, not being properly dressed, bringing friends or family or not having the necessary documents will likely harm the seekers chances of getting hired.

Braelon Bigner, a freshman psychology major, said although she’s had interviews before, she plans on taking some tips from the seminar and applying them to future opportunities.

“Stay…prepared and stuff and making sure to get the right outfit and being able to stay engaged, keeping eye contact and smile and stuff. Making sure I’m not slumping over, because I do that really bad,” said Bigner, listing some tips she plans to use in the future.

The final section of the seminar discussed the use of social media.

Gasperecz explained that in “today’s times,” employers spend time on social media doing research on potential and current employees. Posting about one’s current employer online is discouraged.

There have been many instances in which employees have been fired after “ranting” on social media, said Gasperecz.