Adele sets the bar high with second album

Adele brings pow­erful sounds and smooth melodies in new album

Pop music has seen a slew of single-named solo female singers in the last couple of years. Howev­er, it took the least flashy of them all, Britain’s Adele Adkins, known simply as Adele, to stand out with her vocal talent.

Adele’s forceful alto voice takes over every corner of “21,” her sec­ond album.

She made her debut with her 2008 album, “19.” It showed an ex­cellent effort and a real sense of style, but “21” is an even bigger step in the right direction.

British singer Adele released her newest album, 21, on January 19

She calls her style “heartbroken soul,” a fairly apt description of her mix of old-fashioned soul, some­times sweet sometimes gritty R&B and occasional blues and jazz el­ements.

Adele co-wrote all the songs on “21” with the exception of “Lovesong,” which is a cover of the song written by Cure’s Adkins.

With the exception of the al­bum’s big production number “I’ll be Waiting” the producers stuck to small combo arrangements that allow Adele’s powerhouse voice to shine.

The powerful melodramatic ballad “Someone Like You” uses the piano keys to enhance Adele’s jaw-dropping vocals.

The old-school song “One and Only” sounds as if it was rescued straight out of 1968. The tune has simple but punchy instrumen­tals making the song one you will put on repeat. Best of all may be the two thumping tracks that kick-start “21.”

Adele takes complete command of these songs from start to finish. “21” is surely a classic.