FNAF adaptation ruins video games’ legacies

From the computer screen to the big screen, “Five Nights at Freddy’s” made its theater debut last week with fans of the video games hoping for a return to its roots. Instead of living up to the expectations, the film’s unorganized plot and fan service produced more cringe than scares or laughs.

The movie follows Mike Schmidt, a down-on-his-luck security guard raising his younger sister. When Will Afton offers Mike a job at the abandoned Freddy Fazbear’s Pizzeria, it appears that his luck is finally turning around. 

Mike’s job is surprisingly easy. He must watch the security monitors, stay awake and, most importantly, keep people out. However, Mike quickly realizes that the animatronics he has been hired to protect are hunting him. 

“Five Nights at Freddy’s” could have been a fantastic film if the producers had incorporated the extensive lore and unique gameplay into the plot. Instead, the movie’s convoluted plot will scare viewers away from the franchise.

In the video games, players assumed the role of a nighttime security guard at Freddy Fazbear’s Pizzeria. Like Mike, the player quickly finds out that the animatronics come to life each night, trying to kill anyone in the restaurant after hours. 

After gaining worldwide success because of its unique storyline, creator Scott Cawthon expanded the story to include a serial killer using Fazbear’s as his hunting ground and the animatronics as graves.

The writers obviously tried to tie lore from the games into the film, but none of it made sense with the actual plot of the movie. This made it incredibly difficult to actually enjoy the movie.

Instead, the film relied on cameos to appease fans .

Youtuber MatPat made an appearance as a waiter and got to say his famous catchphrase, “But hey, it’s just a theory!” Another youtuber, CoryxKenshin, was also in the movie and played a taxi driver .The puppeteers and costumed actors controlled the animatronics. When the animatronics were still or making simple movements, the animatronics looked frighteningly life-like. As soon as more complex moves were shown, the animatronics became stiff and unnatural. 

The confusing plot and boring costume design make the FNAF movie not worth watching. Stick with the games. It will leave you with fewer questions than the movie will.