College town bucket list

Coffee spots in Monroe

Hey, I’m Amber. I’ll be writing this week’s addition of the Hangout because Hanna isn’t what you would call a coffee connoisseur. I’m a management major, a coffee lover and today I’ll be discovering the best coffee shops in Monroe. 

The first shop I visited was The Coffee Bean. Immediately I was met with a comforting and warm environment with a diverse group of people that all felt very welcoming. I tried the blueberry muffin which was phenomenal—very dense and moist that made me feel like I was back in my grandma’s kitchen. The caramel frappé hit home with a smooth texture and a delicious flavor. I also liked seeing that the shop partnered with Bayou State Recycling to be more environmentally friendly. 

My next stop was Dreux Coffee, a gem nestled inside Fiesta on Eighteenth. Their health-conscious menu prioritizes nutrition. The croissant had a very light and flakey crust filled with a creamy and buttery flavor. I also tried the cappuccino, which  offered a smooth, rich flavor to enjoy while shopping in the grocery center. 

Finally, I dropped by Standard Coffee Co. to grab a bite. The cafe had a very cool and aesthetically pleasing environment. They offered a variety of options, from half sweet house drinks to seasonal drinks, like the King Cake Latte I enjoyed. I also ate a muffin that was served warm on a plate and had a burst of sweet flavors. Overall, the shop provided a study-friendly atmosphere and a Louisiana charm. 

If you’re looking for a spot to chill with friends and study or a quiet place to cuddle up with a book, try one of these shops. All three places were a must-try, and I think students should expand their coffee runs to these local cafes. 

If you have a topic or question that you would like to see in Hanna’s Hangout, email Hanna at [email protected].