Band works hard for fame and success

The Relay Company is an elec­tronic pop/rock band based in San Jose, California. The band, though unsigned, has promise as well as an album, “X,” on iTunes, their Facebook page and YouTube channel.

Skinny Jake Pooser, a Louisi­ana resident, joined in Septem­ber 2010, after his drum covers on YouTube were discovered by the band.

In January of that same year, Pooser had quit his job at UPS, with all its insurance benefits, to move to Baton Rouge to work for a band called Leaving Brightside.

“It [UPS} was a great job with great benefits, but I went to Baton Rouge anyway,” Pooser explained.

After being with Leaving Bright­side for only a couple weeks, Adam Mariucci, the lead singer, contacted him about working with The Relay Company.

However, Pooser, having just joined Leaving Brightside, didn’t accept the offer until after he went to California in September to shoot the music video for “Mar­co Polo.”

“I knew pretty quickly that I wanted to be a part of the band,” Pooser said about his first impres­sion of the band members.

Now, Pooser commutes to work in California during their busy peaks, but still lives in Bossier City.

“In the beginning stages of the band, Adam was living in San Francisco, and his brother, Ste­phen, was living in San Diego for school. They would “relay” new songs back and forth to each other via email and iChat.

“When I joined the band, they would ‘relay’ the songs to me in Louisiana.”

“Company” fit well with the name meaning “band of brothers,” Pooser said, explaining the mean­ing behind the name of the band.

Stephen Mariucci graduated early so the band could work to­gether more and kick off their two tours in April and June of this year.

With the help of good friends, Peter Lindsey and Jeremy Castillo, who produced their music videos, the band has made a good start.

View Comments (1)