New ‘Madden’ game fumbles the ball

This year, Madden kept fans hopeful despite all the turmoil the NFL experienced with the Lockout. Does “Madden 12” ultimately deliver? Yes and no.

The game play in “Madden 12” is definitely more realistic, and one gets the feel of watching a Sunday football game. On the flip side, while the presentation looks amazing and the new camera angles make it more authentic, the players have an arcade feel to them.

The always-popular “Franchise Mode” received the most upgrades. With changes such as the new dynamic player system, a player’s confidence on the field depends on his performance.

After a few straight wins, the player’s confidence will skyrocket. Similarly, confidence will plummet with repeated losses.

Also new to this year is “Cut Days.” As the name implies, it starts with 75 players in the preseason, and one can cut them where needed. A new free agent and injury reserve engine has also been added.

“Be a Superstar” mode is where a gamer takes a created player from NCAA 12’s “Road to Glory” mode or a rookie from NFL and focuses on taking them through an entire career to get them in the Hall of Fame. The only positive things that can be said about “Be a Superstar” mode are that the menus are now a lot simpler than in the past, they now have player entrances and there are more cut scenes to go along with it. However, that’s about it since it has been overlooked and put to the wayside for the last few years.

While it may be a good game in some aspects, “Madden 12” is still, in a lot of ways, a regurgitation of years past. While it might be a good rent, good advice would say to buy this game at one’s own risk.