Students participate in Ramadan

Robert Jerrod Brown

Every year at ULM, the Muslim Student Association hosts a Ramadan dinner inviting students, faculty and local Muslims to join them for a meal after sun set. During Ramadan, adults who practice Islam cannot eat or drink between dawn and sunset. This fasting is to purify the soul, practice self-sacrifice and strengthen ones relationship with God.

This year pharmacy professor, Dr. Khalil, spoke as everyone gathered and waited for the day to sun to go down. He is the local Imam, which is the Islamic equivalent to a Christian minister. Khalil enlightened the guests on the basics of Islam, trying to dispel stereotypical ideas shared by most non-Muslims. At the end of his speech, those who wished went into an adjacent room to perform the traditional Islamic prayer.

After the prayer, people lined up to fill their plates. The smells of traditional foods mixed with the smell of pizza began to fill the room. Soon, everyone had gone through the line and was eating together. Noise picked up as locals, students, and faculty began to socialize over their dinner. Many faculty and students were in attendance, of which not all practiced Islam. Benjamin Aston, a sophomore political science major from West Monroe, said, “It is nice to see what is happening in other religions.”

Not only was the Muslim Student Association able to share their culture with those who were unfamiliar with Islam, it also provided an outlet for students to come together and practice their faith in fellowship with one another.