Music, Arts, Celebration!

ULM hosts shows in celebration of Black History Month

Music and celebration are on their way as ULM faculty and special guest artists get ready to take center stage. Students will have the opportunity to attend two different events: the Implosion Percussion concert on Jan. 31 and the  African- Americans in the Arts” concert on Feb. 3. Both concerts will be held at 7:30 p.m. in the Emy-Lou Biedenharn Recital Hall.

This will be the Implosion Percussion Group’s first big concert of the year. The group is compiled mostly of ULM faculty and alumni from the music division.

“The concert will feature an extremely exciting mix of music,” said Mel Mobley, ULM music professor, in an email.

The “African-Americans in the Arts” concert is making its second appearance this year.

The stage will be graced with the presence of ULM graduate, Leon Turner, who has traveled the world as a professional singer and is still performing around the country today. Professional singer/soprano Brenda Wimberly is also set to perform.

Stafford, senior speech pathology major of Alexandria, was all smiles when giving details about the upcoming event. “I’m most excited that we’re able to have both of these professional singers come perform at our school,” said  Stafford.

Nearly all parts of VAPA will be represented. Tina Mullone, ULM dance professor, will be performing an excerpt from “Two Solos.”

Loris Beckles, dance partner of the piece’s original choreographer, asked Mulone to perform the show.

“I actually saw this solo performed when I was in college and reacted to how powerful it was. I am extremely honored and humbled Mr. Beckles asked me to perform this work,” said Mullone in an email interview.

Both concerts are free and open to the public.