Killers’ frontman debuts solo album, ‘Flamingo’

Killers frontman debuts solo album, Flamingo
Killers' frontman, Brandon Flowers, poses for "Flamingo"

Killers’ front man Brandon Flowers proves the beginning of his arc as a singer-songwriter legend.

Often Killers’ fans are wishy washy, saying they love “Spaceman,” but hate “Andy, You’re a Star.”  They have “All These Things That I Have Done” on repeat, but don’t hesitate to skip “Human.”

With “Flamingo,” every song grows into a revelation. Flowers’ fascination with religion becomes a theme consistent throughout the album.

It’s not a hokey collection of kumbaya, “come to Jesus” moments. It is the revelation of the sacred in life and the stories of a man grappling with his faith.

In “Right Behind You,” Flowers sings “I’m right behind you in the light of hope / I’ll be beside you on that dusty road / And if you get blind, well that’s alright / Wicked winds blow with grace and might / Cling to the ways of my name.”

His songs never become preachy. They’re full of wonderings, reverence and observations on the paradoxes of living in a world where God might exist.

The album’s chief strength is the revelation of Flowers’ voice. Unlike anything heard before on a Killers album, he often throws aside rhyme, modulates his vocal melodies and pushes to the edge of tearful collapse like in “You woke up in the rusted frame / of a burned out old Deville.”

If he continues making songs like “Playing With Fire” and “The Clock Was Tickin,” where the 29-year-old finds his older soul, Flowers will be a name our children claim as a legend.