Students share apps for studying

With the school year officially back in session it’s time to put your nose to the textbooks and start studying for exams.

Thanks to Smartphone’s, which are literally at our fingertips, it’s even easier to study on the go.

The iTunes app store has over 20,000 education related apps available to keep students organized.

Katy Jordan, a pre-dental hygiene junior from Natchitoches, said she uses a flashcard app called “StudyBlue.” This app helps students create flashcards from notes or readings.

The app keeps track of which flashcards the student has gotten wrong. “It is very user friendly. It’s also so convenient to have on my iPhone because no matter where I am I can review my flashcards,” Jordan said. “StudyBlue” is free, and available for the iPad, iPhone, iPod and Android.

Apps like “iProcrastinate” keep students organized. “iProcrastinate” allows students to organize to-do lists and other tasks. The app lists the steps it takes to complete tasks. This app is available for the Mac, iPhone and iPad for $0.99.

Students can download apps that will source information for papers. “ISource MLA” and “iSource APA” allow students to enter the information for in-text citations and the app will give the proper citation. These apps are available for the iPad and iPhone for $2.99.

Apps are available to help students study for specific classes. Kalynn Osbon, a speech language pathology senior from Oak Grove, said she used “Sounds: The Pronunciation App” to study for her phonetics class.

“I was able to review before class some of the sounds we would be quizzed on and it was really handy in case I didn’t have my book to review with,” Osbon said.

A free version of “Sounds: The Pronunciation App” is available for the iPad, iPhone, iPod and Android.

Mollie Walker, a speech language pathology graduate student from Monroe, said she uses apps on her iPad when meeting with clients.

Walker said she uses an app called “Mind Flex” for clients with left neglect. “Some patients with ‘left neglect’ don’t even recognize the left half of their body…I use visual apps on my iPad that require clients to scan the entire screen,” Walker said.