ACDA student chapter hosts session for local high schools

The American Choral Directors Association chapter at ULM hosts local junior and high school students to teach them more about music.

The ACDA is a world-wide organization, which hosts festivals and events in nearly every country.

Recently, the ULM chapter held the first part of its All-State Choir Preparatory Session.

“Our first session went well,” Amber Atkins, the Public Relations Chair of ACDA, said. “The numbers are not where they were in the 90s, but we are planning on bringing this session back every year.”

ASCPS is a workshop for any and all high school students in the area who plan on auditioning for the All-State choir, which is held every fall in Baton Rouge.

In these workshops students will have sight-reading help, section rehearsals, individual lessons, group rehearsal time and a mock audition.

“We hope to not only help students learn their music so that they are able to represent our district well at the state level, but also to give them a little bit of confidence in their abilities,” Atkins said.

ULM’s ACDA chapter started out in an attempt to help with the mission of the national ACDA: Spread American music around the world.

Atkins said they want to bring back the ACDA so they can help choir directors at area high schools.

“We want to build strong musicians,” Atkins said. “In the process we are also helping teachers, strengthening students mentally and creatively and giving ULM music students the opportunity to teach students and invest in their generation.”

The last session involved Ouachita Parish High School and West Ouachita high school. Atkins said she hopes to add West Monroe, Neville, Bastrop and others to their sessions.

For more information about how to get involved contact, Allison Friloux, vice president of membership, at [email protected].