Saving money in college: tips for penny pinchers

As college students, many of us are always looking for ways to get quality necessities at the lowest prices possible. There are actually many ways to save money if efficient searches are made.

For instance, those students who have smart phones can download gas apps to show them where they can find the cheapest gas in the area.

Even though it is only a few pennies, with fluctuating gas prices, every cent counts. Also, at stores like Brookshire’s, students can get a store card.

Once enough points are earned from purchasing items from that store, 10 cents is deducted from the gas price.

There are many on campus job opportunities that work with students’ schedules so they can make some extra cash.

It is always important to budget when receiving money. Students should use campus meal plans instead of constantly buying fast food or dining out on a regular basis.

Apartment residents can buy groceries that will last them for a few weeks instead of spending the same amount of money on one meal.

Also, pay attention to store brands on certain items. They are usually just as good as the leading name brand products.

Another way to save money is buying a Sunday newspaper. They always have sale papers and coupons. No one has to go as far as extreme couponing, but using a few here and there can really save money.

There are many opportunities to save money while attending school. Going the extra mile to save money can be beneficial eventually.

It also teaches responsibility and money management, which are two important qualities each student needs to take with them in the future.