Fraternity, sorority join to raise awareness

Nigel Cribbs and Andre’ Phillips hold up their Greek signs in the Quad and smelling the trash they picked up at Saturday’s clean-up.

Tyler Smith

Alpha Phi Alpha handed out pamphlets in front of the SUB Tuesday in honor of Autism Awareness Month.

This is part of a series that the fraternity has been doing throughout the semester.

They’ve been tackling a wide range of health subjects such as childhood obesity, epilepsy and the dangers of alcohol in the Quad during Homecoming Week.

They try to choose subjects that they feel students are unaware about, according to Alpha member Isaac Hardman. alphas

“No other Greek organization has touched on this subject in years past and many of my frat members know about these things from their own majors,” Hardman said.

Now they are ready to help their sisters educate the student body about breast cancer, in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

The Alphas will join Delta Sigma Theta in the SUB Ballrooms on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. to host a breast cancer forum.

“We figured partnering with another organization would help us get enough money,” said Chelsea Triche, a senior toxicology major.

Triche is a member of Delta Sigma Theta who said they usually do the event themselves, but with the help of the Alpha’s, they will be able to raise more money to donate to Susan G. Komen at St. Francis Hospital.

Susan G. Komen is a foundation that specializes in educating and raising money for breast cancer research. Triche said their goal is to raise $5,000 for them.

If they do, SGA President Marc Calhoun (also a member of Alpha Phi Alpha) and the Alpha Phi Alpha chapter adviser will shave their heads.

Triche said she knows Monroe may not be the native town of some, but any donation they are willing to give will help.

“This is our community service area and we really need to be giving back to the people who do live here,” Triche said.

She said the forum is a great opportunity for students to donate money, while learning more about a subject they may know little about.

“They get to hear testimonies from breast cancer survivors, caregivers and OBGYN (Obstytricians and Gynecologists) to get the importance of self-screening and getting mammograms,” Triche said.

Triche said students can donate at the door when they arrive to the forum on Tuesday.

They will also be seeking donations on campus throughout the remainder of the month until they reach their goal.