Tailgating at the Grove great for ULM fans

Football season is back in Monroe, and that means the pregame festivities of good food and good eating is the norm.

The first home game of the season against Southeastern Louisiana on Sept. 25 brought out great fanfare, school spirit and the most important part, tailgating.

Everybody from the tailgating veterans to the rookies brought out their families as well as their grills and family recipes.

Alexandria natives John and Paul Wells are established veterans in the tailgating circle outside Malone Stadium for over 20 years, and continued their legacy with tailgating treats such as cooked deer, goose and beef ribeye skewers.

Charles Mock is a friend of the Wells’ and has cooked along with them from the start.

“We’ve been out here since about 1986, back then there was only about two families out here and we had to cook out over there [where the Natatorium is now],” said Mock.

Bubba Richardson is another veteran tailgater who provides great food at the Grove. His cubed deer meat surrounded by jalapeno and cream cheese wrapped in bacon is a hit with many people who come by visit his area.

However, tailgating is not only a time for food, it is a time for fellowship between friends. Along with any college campus comes a great party.

Newcomer John Risinger, equipped with a recreational vehicle and a satellite dish, loves the pre-game scenery.

“The atmosphere is amazing, all the people, it’s just a great scene,” said Risinger. “The kids really enjoy it.”

Most of the ULM student organizations also have their own tents, including the Campus Activites Board, who gave out free food from Raising Cane’s to everybody, and the different fraternity organizations threw around the football in a game of catch.

Tailgating is back and in full force at ULM.