Volleyball gets 1st home win

The Warhawks’ (5-13, 1-8 Sun Belt) win over Florida Atlantic (6-14, 1-8 Sun Belt) came in the same fashion as last years 3-1 victory over the Owls. Friday night’s win also erased an eight game losing streak and was the Warhawks’ first win at the ULM Activity Center this year.

Senior outside hitters Samantha Morse and Zuzana Markova each had triple-doubles for ULM. Morse added 14 kills, 12 assists and 10 digs and led the Warhawks offense. Markova led ULM with 15 kills, added 16 assists and 11 digs.

Defensively, Morse, junior Maria Garcia and junior Blanca Ocana each tallied solo blocks. Garcia recorded seven block assists and no errors. Sophomore Marcela Araya added 20 digs. ULM had 15 total team blocks, which held FAU to a .081 hitting percentage in the match.

ULM started the match with a 25-22 first set win with huge blocks from Garcia and Ocana. The first set consisted of four lead changes and five ties. The first game was tied at 22 before the Warhawks were able to notch the last three points.

FAU won the second set 25-22 in a mirror image to ULM’s first match. The Owls jumped out 8-2 and their lead was never lost. The Warhawks made a valiant effort to come back 23-22, but FAU was able to finish and tie the series.

The third set consisted of seven ties, with the last being at 13-13. ULM went up for the last time, outscoring the Owls by 8 points to win the third set 25-17.

In the last set FAU started out leading 9-5. ULM closed the gap and tied the game at 13-12 off an Owls’ service error. After that, both teams combined for five errors before ULM took the lead off an FAU mistake. Junior Iren Marinova served 10 times in a row propelling ULM to a 23-15 lead. What looked to be a match win at 24-16, turned into a 3-0 rally late by FAU. Garcia and Markova knocked down the last point to secure the win.

The Warhawks will take on Florida International  at 1 p.m. on Sunday in the ULM Activity Center.