Sanctions gone, now team can focus on the court

Keith Richard knew when he took the job that rebuilding Warhawk basketball would be no easy task.

When he returned to Monroe in 2010, Richard–a former player at ULM–was greeted by a program in total disarray.

ULM men’s basketball was crippled by NCAA sanctions due to a horrible Academic Progress Rate (APR) under previous coach Orlando Early leaving the team without a full allotment of scholarships and ineligible for post-season play.

The Warhawks have struggled to a 10-50 record the past two seasons. But with the program’s academic troubles behind them–the NCAA restored ULM’s lost scholarships and post season eligibility in February–Richard can shift his focus solely to basketball.

“It took two years to build our team academically and now we get to really concentrate and map out our future on the court,” said Richard, who was awarded with a two year contract extension in March.

The Warhawks were picked to finish fifth in the Sun Belt West division by the league’s head coaches. Junior guard Charles Winborne is ULM’s lone returning starter. The Shreveport native finished second on the team in scoring last year with 11.2 points per game.

Sophomore Trent Mackey also returns at guard and will provide the Warhawks with some three-point shooting.

The coaches are excited about the play of point guard Marcelis Hansberry.

The team has struggled at the position the last 2 years, and the emergence of Hansberry gives the staff a true point guard to work with.

Despite being picked to finish last in the division for the third straight year, Richard is anxious to see if this group can surprise it’s conference brethren.

“We’re still a little short depth wise,” Richard said. “But with that said, we’re happy with some of the guys we have added to this year’s team, and I am looking forward to see if they can help us take a step in the right direction.”

ULM signed six players in this year’s recruiting class, including junior college transfers Jayon James, Amos Olatayo and Millaun Brown. The trio will look to step in and contribute immediately for the Warhawks.

With the University of Denver’s departure to the WAC leaving the Sun Belt with 11 basketball members, the conference schedule will consist of 20 games and feature home-and-home matchups between every team.

The Warhawks will start the season on Nov. 11 in Norman, Okla against the Oklahoma Sooners. Tipoff is scheduled for 2 p.m.