To ULM’s next athletic director

*This is a mock letter*

Dear (insert government name):

Let me be the first to welcome you to ULM.

I’ve got to say, a contract-less athletic director working at the behest of the university president is an odd arrangement at the FBS level. But you must have really wanted the job to agree to such terms, which isn’t a bad thing.

Unfortunately, my time as a student is up, so I won’t be around to offer my congratulations in person.

What I can offer is a few suggestions that might help you get settled into the job. I’m not presumptuous enough to think I have all the answers. I understand nothing weighs down the head quite like a crown.

This isn’t any sage “Chicken Soup For The Soul” style wisdom, just a few recommendations from an alumnus that would like to see the upward trend of Warhawk athletics continue.

I’m sure you’re aware of the budget issues. There’s no way you took this job without knowing the deal. It’s not all bad news though.

Thanks to this spring’s referendum, the athletic department is eligible to receive additional funds. I’d explain it to you, but the referendum isn’t available to read anywhere. Maybe SGA can get you a copy of it.

You must have some of your own people in mind who you’d like to bring in. I can’t blame you, but at least talk to the folks who inhabit the offices around you before making any changes.

They’re good people who have all had to step out of their comfort zones and fill a variety of roles to help the department get by.

I’d also take some time to talk with your football coach. If next fall goes as planned, Todd Berry is going to have some employment options with bigger budgets, better facilities and a higher pay grade.

Berry’s given no indication that he wants to leave, but it’s in your best interest to make sure he’s happy. A little reassurance never hurt anyone.

I won’t lie to you and say getting fans to show up for gamedays on this campus is easy. It’s not. Most ULM students weren’t even born when the university was respected athletically and don’t know any better.

But if the 2012 football season proved anything, it’s that they’ll show up if they have something to cheer about. Winning, combined with the right promotional opportunities, will get people to come out.

The white-out game against Baylor was a perfect example. Given the efficiently sparse list of entertainment options around Monroe, it’s the best model going forward.

This is a tough job—easily the toughest in the FBS. Take a walk around campus and the facilities will give you an idea of how much work there is to be done.

However, there are still people out there who care about this university. Use them as a resource. It may not make your job easier, but at least you’ll have someone willing to help you along the way.

I’ll leave you with the hopeful—yet honest—words of intergalactic philosopher Han Solo, “good luck, you’re gonna need it.”

Best Wishes,

Adam Hunsucker

ULM Graduate School, Class of 2013