Hawks best Georgia State, shift focus to national championship

ULM began its road to the national championship on Saturday with a 4-1 victory over Georgia State on Senior Day at the ULM Sand Volleyball Courts.

The Warhawks (7-4) took four flights in a row to get the win over the Panthers (8-9). In the four position, Marcela Araya and Maria Garcia beat Alexis Elmurr and Molly Smestad 21-12, 21-13. Amy Grabiec and Michelle McNamee defeated Jansen Button and Sara Olivova 23-21, 21-18 in the two spot.

The third and fifth flights went to a third set, each decided in favor of the Warhawks. Kylie Parks and Blanca Ocana were victorious against Milani Pickering and Katelyn Rawls 17-21, 21-14, 15-9.Alannah Cullum and Iren Marinova picked up a 21-19, 21-23, 15-9 win over Karlee Kavanaugh and Alexis Townsend.

ULM’s only loss came in the one position when Tetiana Sukach and Zuzana Markova were bested by rivals Lane Carico and Katie Madewell. It was the third time this season that the two pairs faced each other, with “T & Z” winning two of the three matches.

In an exhibition flight held before match play began, Sarah Johnson and Danielle Lewis of ULM were defeated by Kaitlynn Hufstetler and Nikki Senopoulos 21-18, 21-10.

With the regular season behind them, the Warhawks turn their attention to the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) National Sand Volleyball Championship in Gulf Shores, Ala.

ULM sand volleyball qualified for the tournament as the sixth seed in just its first year of existence. The sixth seed places the Warhawks among the top three teams in the Southeast Region of the bracket.

By qualifying as a school, ULM places two pairs in the individual side of the tournament. Sukach and Markova and Grabiec and McNamee will compete for the Warhawks.

The six-team field also features top seed Pepperdine, Long Beach State, Florida State, USC and North Florida. Tournament play begins on May 3 and concludes on May 5.