Hawkeye P.O.V.: Young celebrities abuse fame

Our country spends a lot of time stressing fairness and equality. And, usually, it achieves both as best it can.

So, when we watch countless celebrities walk out of court with a slap on the wrist and a cheesy grin in their mug shot, the American people tend to get a little upset.

Why should your name put you above the law? Why should the number of Grammys you have or the amount of money in your bank account give you the right to put yourself and others in danger?

Celebrities like Justin Bieber and Lindsay Lohan make a joke of the justice system and learn nothing from their mistakes. As outrageous as it is to see these millionaires pay small fines for what regular civilians would be arrested for, it’s not their fault.

No, not because they’re young tortured celebrities that are struggling under the spotlight. As tough as it may be, it’s a life they chose.

Sharing their talent with the world in exchange for the fame some of these young stars grew up craving seemed like a fair enough price to them. At least at the time it did.

It’s not their fault. It’s our court systems fault. It’s failing to hold these stars accountable for their actions. It’s telling them that they can continue to do wrong because money and fame will fix everything. It will buy them anything and everything.

I’ll admit that being a young celebrity is probably hard. Having your social life and privacy taken away doesn’t exactly sound like a perk of being famous.

I’d be upset too if I couldn’t look ugly in public every once in a while without having it posted across the cover of a magazine.

But, when the pressure becomes too much and these stars spiral out of control, cutting them slack only feeds the problem.

Celebrities can only control the justice system and become invincible if we allow them to.