Gold shines in Spring Game

Gold+shines+in+Spring+Game+

photo by Daniel RussellTrust the Midas touch!

ULM’s Gold team takes the victory in the 2014 Spring football game Saturday.

In a game that was mostly dominated by the defense, the Gold team was able to walk away with a  27- 0 shutout of the Maroon team.

The Gold defense was able to capitalize early on in the game by taking an interception back for a touchdown. Two plays later the snap went through the hands of Maroon quarterback Brayle Brown and was taken into the end zone by linebacker Ray Stovall to put the Gold team up by 14.

“I just saw the ball, picked it up, and ran,” Stovall said. “Then I just went and celebrated with my teammates.”

It took a while for an offensive touchdown, but Gold team wide receiver Vincent Hobbs caught a deflected pass and took it 65 yards to the endzone, giving the Gold team a three touchdown cushion.

After another Maroon team turnover, the Gold team regained control of the ball. They were able to put together a decent drive that ended in a touchdown reception by Ajalen Holley for the final scoring play of the game.

“It felt good, it felt real good,” Holley said. “It’s the spring game, you finally got people coming to watch what y’all have put together all spring, and to score was only a plus.”

The spring football game marks the end to the football team’s spring semester practice schedule. Head coach Todd Berry was happy too see the guys go out and preform, but did express this scrimmage wasn’t all for the coach’s evaluations.

“This is just for our guys to come and have fun,” Berry said. “Our main scrimmages have already happened. This was just a fun scrimmage.”

The two teams were chosen by a draft format that did have some players slightly out of position.

It appeared the Gold team, guest coached by Stewart Cathy Jr., picked the right formula.

“We picked people, number one, who had the most swag and big hitters,’’ Stovall said.

ULM will open the 2014 season against Wake Forest at home in Malone Stadium on August 28. The game will be televised on ESPNU.

[nggallery id=64]