Tips to spring into this season

Spring is the season to start fresh, so prepare to clean out your wardrobe, house and life.

ULM students said they welcome spring’s arrival.

“I’m looking forward to spring because of the warmer weather, and we can do more things outside,” said Susan Egbert, a senior pre-pharmacy major.

Exercising outside will help maintain or improve health, and spring is the perfect time to start back on an exercise routine. This is especially true if you are looking to shed that extra Christmas weight.

Each new season brings new styles and fashion trends with it. Students are ready for the change in clothing.

Anteenee Thomas, a junior public relations major, said she usually cleans out her closet and rearranges clothes to make room for new pieces.

“I always go spring shopping,” Thomas said.

Style trends for spring include shirt dresses, polo-style shirts, gingham print and one-shoulder cuts. As for accessories, trends point to obi belts, flats and slides gaining popularity.

According to Pantone, a company that releases fashion color forecasts for each season, spring colors for 2015 will include aquamarine, tangerine, lavender, mint green and almond.

You don’t have to put away all your fall colored clothes though. Pantone had a few darker colors in the mix as well. Fashion is up for interpretation, so don’t feel like you have to abide by trends.

To make room for new clothes, it’s a good time to clean out your closet. Get rid of all the clothes you haven’t worn in a while or any that you just don’t like anymore.

Instead of throwing them out or selling them, think about donating them to charity. You get to make room for new clothes and do a good deed at the same time. While cleaning out your closet, make time to do some spring cleaning for the rest of your house too.

Floors can be the dirtiest part of the house, but it’s an easy fix.

For carpets, vacuum and steam clean if possible. Take your shoes off at the door but walk around in socks. Bare feet leaves natural oils behind on the carpet that attracts dirt. For hardwood floors, use furniture protectors to help prevent scratches and damp mop once a week.

Clean windows with a good wipe down of window cleaner. Walls are easy to clean as well. Use a mild soap and soft sponge or rag to scrub off stains or marks. Wipe off and dust any light fixtures and vents.

For an easy bathroom fix, drop a teaspoon of Tang drink mix into the toilet. The citric acid acts like a scrubber. Let it sit for a few minutes then swish the water and flush. This trick can work to clean bathtubs or sinks as well. So there’s no need to break out harsh chemicals.

While cleaning, check smoke detectors and alarms. Replace batteries if needed. Make sure they’re fully functional.

Spring is also allergy season. Flowers bloom and dust and pollen scatter. Stock up on some over-the-counter allergy medicine. You don’t want to be sneezing every five seconds for three months.

From food to floors and all in between, you can freshen up your life with the new season.