Brutal Bobcats leave team stunned in San Marcos

The Warhawks couldn’t escape San Marcos with a win as the Bobcats prevailed 73-55. Limited scoring in the first half established a lead for Texas State (13-17; 6-11 Sun Belt Conference) that lasted the rest of the match. Two Warhawks (11-17; 6-11 SBC) barely broke double digits in points. Alternatively, everyone who touched the ball for Texas State put points on the board.

Head coach Keith Richard attributed the loss to the Bobcats’ physicality. Their unexpected athleticism made more match-ups unwinnable, giving ULM fewer opportunities to score.

“I think our guys were a little bit in shell shock because of the physicality,” Richard said.

The Warhawks struggled to make much happen away from the basket. ULM made 17-of-56 field goals and just three successful 3-pointers with 16 tries. From the line, the Warhawks sunk 18-of-23. 

The Bobcats exceeded ULM in their stats, boasting 19-of-34 in the paint and making all but one of their 15 free-throws.

Five minutes into the first half, Texas State took off with a 7-point scoring run to take the lead. Four free-throws by Makai Willis gave ULM some cushion, but the Bobcats continued to keep their feet on the gas. Their lead rapidly grew to double digits, and an 8-point scoring run brought Texas State to its largest lead of the half at 18. 

Tyreke Locure made a jumper moments before the buzzer to end the first half on a high note, but the 20 minutes the Warhawks just played meant a tough trip to the locker room.

Both teams couldn’t find the bucket at the start of the second half. With less than 10 minutes to go, ULM’s scoring drought lingered while the Bobcats couldn’t miss. Texas State’s Christian Turner managed to steal the ball and make a fastbreak layup to push his team’s lead to 20.

The Warhawks didn’t make a field goal until three minutes left in the game. Another steal and a dunk by Texas State brought ULM’s deficit back to 20. The Bobcats had only two of their starters on the court as the final minutes dwindled. ULM’s Jalen Bolden managed to steal the ball and record a dunk, but despite the flare, the Bobcats led 73-55.

The loss ties ULM and Texas State for 11th place in conference standings, but the Bobcats’ win gave them the tie breaker. 

ULM’s match at South Alabama determines if the Warhawks enter the Sun Belt Tournament Tuesday for the first round or Thursday with a first-round bye.