Stellar pitching, batting hand Tigers quick loss

Shubrat Simkhada

An 8-0 lead at the bottom of the sixth inning gave ULM softball an early victory over Jackson State. The Warhawks (14-5) run-ruled the Tigers (10-3) for their eighth run-rule victory this season. A home run by Meagan Brown in the fifth and relentless scoring deep in the sixth gave ULM enough of a lead to draw the curtains early.

Head coach Molly Fichtner said the win stemmed from the pitching staff’s work leading the defense. Fichtner also noted how the offense took stress off the pitchers by posting run after run.

“We’re putting up runs more than we ever have,” Fichtner said. “When you put up runs, it gives more cushion for those pitchers. They don’t have to worry about missing a spot.”

The top of the first inning went by quickly as ULM recorded two strikeouts and a caught ball out to right field.

First baseman Andie Edwards earned her first of three RBIs during the bottom of the first; her sacrifice fly brought Carys Platt to home plate. 

Shortly after, outfielder Meagan Brown turned a base hit single into a sprint to third base. Her sister, Morgan Brown, cleaned up by singling to the shortstop and allowed Meagan Brown to score.

Throughout innings two, three and four, the Tigers reached second base all of two times. As for ULM, not much scoring occurred either, save for the bottom of the third when Lourdes Bacon scored off a throw due to Meagan Brown stealing second. After the fourth inning, the scoreboard showed ULM up 4-0 against the Tigers.

Jackson State struggled to hit the ball in the fifth and struck out swinging and looking. In the bottom of the fifth, Platt singled, stole second and advanced to third off a throwing error. Edwards sacrificed another out to get Platt home and bring the score to 5-0.

The sixth inning mirrored the fifth with Jackson State leaving the batting zone as quickly as it entered. 

With the bases loaded, Platt took a hit to advance everyone around the diamond and pushed Jacelyn Buck home to score. A walk by Edwards generated another run for the Warhawks, and Meagan Brown tallied an RBI for Bacon to create the run-rule win.