Warhawk pitching flies south

Weekend woes continue for Warhawks

The series between ULM (17- 17, 5-10 SBC) and Florida Atlan­tic (23-13, 10-5 SBC) was likely forgettable for the baseball team as the Owls swept the Warhawks right out of Florida.

Florida Atlantic batted their way to a 4-0 lead in game one. Drew Granier (3-3) did not allow a run after the second inning and struck out nine batters on the evening.

ULM finally got on board in the fifth inning on a single by Tay­lor Abdalla, but there just was not enough offense for the Warhawks as they lost 4-1.

Game two seemed a bit more promising for ULM as they came out swinging and built up an early 3-0, lead sparked by Jarrett Ham­mond’s two RBI single in the first inning.

Unfortunately for the War­hawks, FAU pitcher Paul Davis vir­tually shut down the ULM offense after the second inning. Then the Owls started their comeback, and tied the game in the fifth in­ning with a homerun by Raymond Church. Randy Zeigler (3-3) took the loss after giving up the win­ning run to Mark Nelson on an RBI single.

Kendall Thamm (0-2) took the mound in the series finale and had a solid start. He gave up only two runs, but it was not enough, as he would earn a loss for his efforts. The Warhawk bats went silent yet again as the offense only managed to score once on a homerun by Joey Rapp in the seventh inning in route to a 3-1 loss.

The Warhawks have now lost five straight games and four of five conference series matchups. The team will try to get the season back on track when it hosts Mississippi Valley State in a two-game mid­week series starting on Tuesday before traveling to play Middle Tennessee.