Top skier denies transfer rumors

Rumors that water skier Zack Worden is tranferring from ULM are false.

“ULM is where my heart is at, and I’m staying here regardless if I am on the team or not,” Worden said.

Worden received a sanction letter from head coach Treina Landrum that canceled his scholarship for the Spring 2012 semester.

The sanction came due to Worden breaking team curfew the night of winning the national title.

Worden won the men’s jumping title with a jump of 194 feet and scored 1,640.0 overall points.

Worden’s 194 feet jump has not been confirmed, but beats the National Collegiate Water Ski Association (NCWSA) national record. Once confirmed Worden will be the sole owner of the record.

Worden’s father John Worden has been involved in the controversy surrounding his son, because the night Zack Worden broke curfew, he was with his parents.

John Worden said, “Zack loves Monroe, he is a Warhawk and it would be hard for him to go elsewhere.”

He said Zack could go to UL-Lafayette to compete, but that’s not where his heart is.

John Worden said, “He (Zack) is the best skier in collegiate skiing, and he will be next year too.”

UL-Lafayette finished second behind ULM this year at the Water Ski Championships, but last year they won first place.

Claudio Kostenberger said, “Because of this situation, it gives ULM a bad name in the ski world.”

He said, “People ask if this is true, and then they say well looks like I’m going to Lafayette.”

Kostenberger serves the same punishment as Zack Worden, but he said he hopes it will be resolved soon.

Members of the ski team made a joined decision to not comment on the situation, but said they hope the two sides can work the matter out fairly.