Poor 1st half performance gets men’s basketball routed 60-38

The men’s basketball team (0-1) opened up its 61st season Friday on the road against the Rebels of Ole Miss, in Oxford MS.

After coming off two wins in its preseason exhibition games against Lubbock Christian and Philander Smith College, it failed to continue its streak against Ole Miss, losing 60-38.

The Warhawks couldn’t buy a basket against the Rebels, as they shot only 4-24 from the field, ending the first half with a 16.7 shooting percentage.

The rebels took full advantage of the Warhawks terrible shooting performance as they ran of the gate with a 16-5 run to open the game.

The Rebels kept it going as they shot 44 percent from the field in the first half of play and took a 22-point lead into halftime.

The Warhawks as a team scored 11 points total in the first half.

The Rebels led by as much as 26 in the second half.

The Warhawks turned their shooting luck around in the second half as freshman Trey Lindsey made a free throw to pull as close as 16.

They came out shooting a 40 percent from the field in the second half.

But Ole Miss just continued to play their game after building such a large margin in the first half and went on to get the win.

Ole Miss finished with three players in double figures including Monroe‘s own and Carroll High alum Terrance Henry.

Henry led the Rebels with 15 points, while not a single Warhawk player finished in double figures.

Senior, and Sun Belt Preseason Third Teamer, Fred Brown led the Warhawks with a total of only seven points, shooting 2-12 from the field.

Fabio Ribeiro snatched, a team-high, six rebounds in the loss.

The Warhawks take on Indiana State today at 7 p.m. in the Fant-Ewing Coliseum.