Warhawk football to hold walk-on tryouts

Coaches will be watching closely Tuesday as prospective walk-ons tryout for the Warhawk football team.

The football team is holding a meeting for walk-on tryouts on Tuesday at 5 p.m. for the upcoming season. The team is giving students an opportunity to compete for a position on the team and potentially a scholarship. Students must first attend this meeting to get a chance to make it to the physical try-outs.

“We are looking for football players,” assistant coach Bryan Apple-White said.

There are requirements that inquiries must fulfill. One must be a fulltime ULM student, have a 2.5 grade point average or better, must have played high school football and must bring proof of insurance.

Apple-White said, “Every once in a while we find that diamond in the rough. Some guy that may not have wanted to play football, but suddenly gets that itch again.”

The team requires high school football experience because they only have so much time to teach players the basics of the game.

Apple-White said, “It’s almost like taking pre-calculus without ever learning to count. And that is impossible.”

Students who advance through the preliminary meeting will have physical try-outs on Feb. 7.

The team will notify the student whether or not to attend. For more questions call Vince Logan at (919) 215-1209.