Soccer splits wins to McNeese, Southern

The start of the ULM soccer match against McNeese State didn’t give any justice of how the game would play out. Both teams couldn’t get any decent looks at goal after the first 45 minutes of play.

At the start of the second half McNeese State’s Brennan Moss drove through ULM’s and scored her third of the season.

“We had four of our starters out of the game. The girls stepped up and played really hard,” said coach Mazza. “

ULM didn’t cross in to Jaguars territory much in the first half, so Mazza made some key adjustments.

“We knew we had to get our forwards more involved,” said Mazza. “We decided to apply a lot of pressure in the second half.”

That pressure shifted the momentum for ULM as Kelly O’Dwyer stole the ball in front of midfield. O’Dwyer drove down the sidline and made a cross to the left post where Brittany Parker headed the ball in back of the net. The goal was Parker’s first of the season and with six minutes to play the game was tied 1-1.

ULM didn’t get to enjoy the goal for long as McNeese’s Chelsea Beaubouef broke away with a little over four minutes remaining. Beaubouef shot ricocheted off goalkeeper Alex Holland and bounced right back to her. She was able  to make the second shot count, sealing the game at 2-1 for the Cowgirls.

ULM senior goalkeeper Alex Holland played the final 41:36, collected two saves and allowed one goal. Junior Karlin Aloisio made the start in goal for the Warhawks and provided four saves and allowed one goal in 48:24 of work.

The Warhawks went back to action Friday against the Southern University Jaguars and recorded a 2-1 victory. ULM controled the ball throughout the game as they totaled 19 shots with 12 on goal.

The Jaguars scored first off of what Mazza described as a “well shot” free kick.

O’Dwyer tied the game for the Warhawks with five minutes remaining in the first half. Her goal from18 yards out came off a nicely placed through ball from Cerene Arsenault. The goal was O’Dwyer’s second on the year.

The final goal for the Warhawks came four minutes as Kylie Kircher headed in a corner from freshman Karlea Fehr. The goal was Kircher’s  college score and wrapped up the win for ULM.

“This was a good win,” said Mazza. “We dominated the whole game.”

The Warhawks move to 3-6 on the season. The next game will be onSept. 23 against the defending Sunbelt champions of North Texas.

“This is going to be a tough match to start conference play,” said Mazza.