Gay/Straight Alliance shows its pride

Gay/Straight Alliance shows its pride

The Gay Straight Alliance spent last week passing out tie-dye bandanas in Scott Plaza and under the SUB for “Ask an Ally” week.
The GSA celebrated an entire week to show support of those who favor gays having equal rights.
GSA President Ryan Byrd said he was pleased with the encouragement the group got from students and faculty at ULM.
“It was mostly positive. Almost everyone seemed to appreciate what we were doing,” said Byrd, a senior pre-pharmacy major.
Byrd said there were a few people who didn’t share his views on homosexuality, but the overall attitudes of those he met were accepting.
Ally week was a nationwide effort by GSAs at universities and high schools to let people know that gays are not afforded the same rights as others in certain parts of the country.
It is illegal for gays to marry in Louisiana, as well as every southern state.
Byrd, who isn’t gay, said it’s not right for others to deny equal rights to gays and lesbians based solely on the fact that they’re gay.
The group sponsored Ask an Ally under the SUB overhang. Students with questions about GSA, or the gay community in general, could come up and ask their questions.
It was an effort by the group to educate and inform people around ULM about the local gay community, according to the group’s leaders.
Those who support gay rights wore the tie-dye bandanas made by the group.
“I like wearing a bandana to show people that I’m pro-gay and that if they have any questions about the LBGT community, then they could ask me,” said the group’s Vice President Ben Savana, a freshman computer science major.
The GSA has as many straight members as gay members.
“It’s good to know that there’s not just gay people but also people who support gay people that are a part of the group,” Savana said.
GSA also found members from Delta Community College, who felt at home with ULM’s GSA.
“I came with a friend and saw that the group was full of good people: straight, gay, bi or whatever and was really welcoming,” said Orlandzeo Hennings, a junior music major at Delta.
Hennings said he appreciated ULM GSA for holding the event and for being around to show young gay people in Monroe that there is a place that supports them.
GSA meets at 5:30 p.m. every Tuesday in the Student Center room 162 and is open to all students.