SGA officers debate 2012 election issues

The crowd bickered back and forth over national politics at Delta Sigma Theta’s Great Debate featuring SGA officers Calvin Stafford and Jessica Richardson, who represented Barack Obama and Mitt Romney.

The subject turned to race at the last minute with questions of whether or not Americans have become more racist after the election of the first black president.

“As me talking for we, I am not for all that racist mess,” said Chelsea Wyatt a freshman senator in SGA, who is black. “Even though it’s been white for so many years, do you think the world is starting to get worse?”

The crowd began to rumble.

The moderators quickly defused the situation and only allowed a few more questions before ending the debate.

Martin Solomon said he’s not sure whom he’s voting for. But he said he doesn’t like either candidate that much.

“Obama’s motto is change,” said Solomon, a junior social studies education major. “But if you ask me, there hasn’t been much change.”

Stafford tried to make the case for Obama to the students. But some students weren’t buying. One student left the room after one of Stafford’s responses.

Richardson tried for Romney. But at different points, her responses that included Martin Luther King Jr. and the words “you people” caused the crowd to rise in their seats. They quickly sat back down after the moderators took control of the situation.

Richardson said “you people” referred to democrats and had nothing to do with race.

The two officers debated back and forth over their candidates’ stances on higher education toward the end.

Wyatt asked if a “scatter brained” Romney would be able to stand behind his statements that he would make college more affordable.

“I don’t know if he is going to be able to back having an easier way to pay for college,” Richardson said.

Richardson said Obama’s had four years and he’s just now accomplishing goals he’d set for his first year.

“It doesn’t matter when he did it. It’s done,” Stafford said as the room filled with laughter and applause.