State fails to comply with DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has temporarily postponed the requirement, originally planned to go in effect Jan. 15, that all Louisiana residents have a passport to fly from the state—no matter where they’re going.

Louisiana residents used to only need a state identification card, such as a driver’s license, to board commercial aircrafts when flying domestically. But that may change as Louisiana is one of the many states who fail to meet the standards of the REAL ID Act of 2005, according to Homeland Security.

As of right now, only 13 states are in compliance with the act, which was created in response to Sept. 11 as a way to make it easier for individuals to be identified and would have included certain security features on ID cards and driver’s licenses.

Many state legislatures passed laws to prohibit their states’ DMVs from enacting any changes to their ID policies.

Louisiana passed legislation in 2008 refusing to comply with the law citing concerns about the lack of privacy and increased threat of identity theft.

“I’ve never even heard of this,” said Keishanda Simmons, a freshman pre-nursing major. “This is so unnecessary.”

DHS still plans to implement the Act “in a measured, fair and responsible way” and is expected to present a schedule they plan to follow when doing so.

“There is always some issue going on. Now we’re going to need passports to fly to Texas…really,”Simmons said.

Senior management major Jaquita Smith understands the need for a passport when flying out of the county, but doesn’t like the idea of needing one to fly domestically.

“It’s crazy that I might need a passport to fly to Georgia,” Smith said. “I guess I’ll just be driving if that happens.”

The plan is expected to be presented by early fall and put into action soon after. Until then, state IDs and drivers licenses can continue to be accepted when flying domestically.

The federal government has offered more than $800 million in grant money to states willing to meet the requirements.