Students paint the campus pink

Students paint the campus pink

Whether it is wearing a pink ribbon, holding forums or running in a race, students all over campus are observing Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Breast Cancer Awareness Month is an annual international health campaign organized by major breast cancer charities every October.

It was established to increase awareness of the disease and to raise funds for research into its cause, prevention and cure.

The campaign also offers information and support to those affected by breast cancer.

Various student organizations at the University of Louisiana at Monroe have shown their support for the cause.

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. recently showed its support by holding a breast cancer awareness informational outside of the SUB.

The members gave out information about the disease, collected donations, passed out pink ribbons and even gave out cupcakes. They also explained the importance of getting annual mammograms.

“It is October and we want to make students aware,” said Delta Sigma Theta member Brittany Miles, a senior political science major from Shreveport.

“This disease is serious and we want students to know it can happen at any age,” Miles said.

AstraZaneca, the manufacturer of cancer treating drugs founded the National Breast Cancer Awareness Month in 1985.

From the start, Breast Cancer Awareness Month focused on promoting mammography, saying it is most effective weapon in the fight against breast cancer.

In 1993 Evelyn Lauder, Senior Corporate Vice President of the Estée Lauder Companies founded The Breast Cancer Research Foundation and established the pink ribbon as its symbol.

However, it was not the first time the ribbon was used to symbolize breast cancer.

In the fall of 1991, the Susan G. Komen Foundation had handed out pink ribbons to participants in its New York City race for breast cancer survivor.

Along with the Theatas, other students at ULM are helping to raise awareness about breast cancer.

In September, Monroe sponsored a Race for the Cure at Forsythe Park.

Many students showed up to walk or run the 5K, including Jasmine Garcia, a sophomore history major from Auburn, Ala.

“I ran the Race for the Cure for my aunt who is currently going through chemo for lmyphatic cancer. I ran to fight cancer in a way that a runner could,” Garcia said.

“We hope women realize how important yearly checks are, and take our advice to go get checked,”  Miles said.