Widely known poet performs

Professor and poet Javon Johnson made people laugh and cry during his performance Tuesday night in the SUB.

Johnson is currently a professor at the University of Southern California, teaching classes on race, gender and sexual orientation. Besides traveling and performing at various universities, Johnson has also appeared on HBO’s “Def Poetry Jam,” BET’s “Lyric Café” and helped with a Showtime documentary.

Communication studies professor C. Turner Wilson introduced Johnson, saying how she was moved by one of his performances in New Orleans.

“It was a powerful poem that brought me to tears,” said Wilson. “One minute I was laughing and the next I was sobbing…And I said, ‘I want that man to come to Monroe,” Wilson said.

Johnson started the night reciting his poetry from memory, rambling line after line while gradually getting louder. The louder he was, the more the audience responded with applause and cheers.

Senior communication studies major Alexis Jones attended the performance and enjoyed Johnson’s poems. “Dr. Johnson had me from the moment he spoke. He really showed me why I love my degree so much,” said Jones.

“I write about things I love,” said Johnson.

Many of his poems are about his personal experiences and observations. One of the many poems he recited was about a serious relationship he had and another was about his grandmother dying.

All of Johnson’s poems showed how he felt in the moment, and his actions on the stage showed his emotions every time he spoke. At times Johnson would raise his voice and speak very fast and then lower his voice and speak softly.

“I’m a real high energy performer…I want you to shout, yell, holler, all that’s good,” said Johnson when talking about audience participation.

One poem titled “Ten reasons why the women I’ve dated are like religion,” compared women to how strict, yet rewarding having a religion can be. The poem made the audience laugh and also think about the more serious parts of the poem.

Senior communication studies major A.J. O’Bier said he liked that poem the most.

“I really enjoyed his performance. His passion and intensity stood out to me; you could tell this was something he loved doing,” said O’Bier.

Johnson travels a lot, and since his last collegiate conference in 2009, universities have contacted him to come speak and perform.

He is also the co-founder of Say Word, an organization that mentors to teens through spoken word poetry.

Johnson will soon have a new job teaching performance studies at University of San Francisco in the fall. Johnson earned his Ph.D. in performance studies from Northwestern University.

His dissertation was about his work with the youth in New York City and Chicago through spoken word poetry sessions and poetry slams.

Johnson will be touring with four other poets this summer. His poetry performance was part of ULM’s Black History Month.