Women of Standard

A new recognized student organization uplifting young women has made its debut onto ULM’s campus.

Women of Standard is a new organization started by Eiyana Middleon a freshman nursing major. She actually developed this group from the Girls of Motivation Club, a group she created in high school.

“In high school, people could always confide in me, and I would give them advice. I felt like I was making their day,” Middleton said.

This organization was created to give young women an opportunity to be uplifted and encouraged. The organization will help to enhance self-esteem and confidence in young women who are in need of an advocate or mentor.

A weeklong event called Hugs and Smiles week is one thing that Middleton has implemented to help students who are dealing with poor anger management skills and any other personal issues.

She has also created activities such as writing support letters to those families who lost loved ones at the Sandy Hook shooting.

“A couple months ago, this was a big issue. Now that it has died down, we want to let the families know that we still care and are praying for them,” said Middleton.

Middleton’s job as the leader of the organization is to serve as the primary mentor. She plans to help each female student enhance all areas of poor self-image and confidence by providing essential words of encouragement and activities that will promote self-motivation.

In the meetings, there will be activities such as journaling that will be kept in the members’ own personally decorated book.

“This will serve as mind therapy,” Middleton said.

They will also have reaction session following each event. During these sessions, the members will talk about what they did and how it made them feel. Some meetings will also include guest speakers.

“My opinion of the RSO is that it is a positive influence for the student body. It is a philanthropic group that clearly is concerned about the well-being of the students of ULM, and has actually taken the steps to aid our campus community,” said Vanelis Rivera, English instructor and faculty adviser for Women of Standard.

The meetings will be held from 5 to 6 p.m. every Tuesday in room 161A of the Student Center.