Art professor’s sculpture chosen for 2 year exhibition, his students proud to see him excel

Art professor Clifford Tresner received news earlier this month that he considers one of his favorite moments in his professional career.

A sculpture he calls “Gesture” was chosen to be featured at Delta State University’s 6th Outdoor Sculpture Biennial. The exhibition takes place at the Hazel and Jimmy Sanders Sculpture Garden in front of the Performing Art Center in Cleveland, Miss.

The work will be on exhibition from Aug. 9 to Aug. 2, 2015.

Words For A Sculptor

As he was beginning his art career, Tresner thought that he would go into painting or drawing. He had no knowledge of sculpting, but he did like to build things.

“When I took my first sculpture course, I found it to be extremely challenging and difficult,” said Tresner. “I also realized that in sculpture I could learn many diverse things. It did not need to be removed from drawing and painting. Some contemporary art blurs the lines between painting, drawing, sculpture and other artistic media. I wanted to embrace that.”

Tresener makes large-scale public works and enters them in National Public Art competitions. He considers “Gesture” a part of a body of work that also includes “Tower of Babel,” currently showing at Spaces Sculpture Trail in Huntsville, Al, and “See What I Am Saying” which is part of the permanent collection of the Masur Museum of Art in Monroe.

As a young art student, he found difficulty in writing or talking about his artwork. Tresner told Julie Landry of the Office of Public Information that “using words and letters as part of my sculptural ‘language’ allows me to work through many things that require a linear approach. Using words to construct a figure just seemed sensible, as we are the species engaged and concerned with such things.”

Tresner wants people to view “Gesture” with curiosity and questioning.

But he had some challenges along the way. It was hard and hot work in the long Louisiana summer and working large inside does not always translate as large outside. Sometimes it loses perspective. Tresner spent four months giving his sculpture a sense of intimacy and engagement on a personal level.

“It is not about what I am trying to say or do. It is about what the viewer takes away from the work or gives to the work through discussion,” Tresner said.

Nan Sanders, project organizer and benefactor of the sculpture garden, spoke to Julie Landry about how happy she is to feature Tresner’s sculpture. His sculpture is one of her personal favorites and she believes it will be a favorite for all of the viewers.

“The viewers that come through our sculpture garden are often new to the outdoor sculpture experience, so I love to have pieces that relate to viewers on many levels,” said Sanders for the Office of Public Information. “And I expect that the Tresner piece will do that. We bring a lot of children through our Garden, and I can’t wait to hear their comments.”

A Gesture To The Artist

Senior fine arts major Victoria Smith was a freshman when she first met Tresner. As she sat nervously in his 3D design class, she found herself being instructed by a “steely” professor who always seemed to have a toothpick in the corner of his mouth.

“Lecturing with his ever-so Midwestern accent, Cliff and his style of teaching were far from what I had grown accustomed to while in high school,” said Smith. “I wasn’t as flexible with change as he had probably hoped I would be.”

Their personalties were different and neither of them could find the words to communicate. Smith was positive that she could not work in any form of three-dimensional art. Her confidence was low and she was apprehensive about having to take another class taught by Tresner.

“It took some time before I could convince myself to try another “’Cliff class,’” Smith said.

As registration for Spring 2012 approached, Smith held her breath and signed up for advanced drawing – taught by Tresner.

But before the class, Tresner and Smith had a conversation that changed her outlook on him as a professor, sculpting as an art form and herself as an artist.

“He wanted to make sure I knew that I was one of the best in the 3D design class even though I didn’t leave feeling that way. And I think he knew that,” said Smith. “That short conversation allowed me to see that he did care about what I felt and that he respected my point of view.”

Smith then felt valued. She knew that he was truly there to teach her and eventually she built up the confidence to add her own spin to her artwork.

Tresner gave her sense of independence and freedom in her artwork. And whenever she wondered if she was overworking, her “Cliff voice” would go off in the back of her head.

“Leave it,” the voice said. “Don’t overwork and take a step back. General to specific.”

Tresner’s students admire his ability to explore and create his own work while inspiring them to do the same. He manages the Bry Gallery, heads the Honorary Art Fraternity Kappa Pi and is always there when something arises within the art department.

“I can’t express how glad I am that I gave Cliff and sculpture another chance. He knows how to push and get me to create the best quality of work possible while allowing my own artistic liberties to shine through,” said Smith. “I owe him so much. ULM wouldn’t be the same without him.”

Tresner has worked for ULM for over 17 years and has a studio in Monroe. He received a Bachelor of Fine Arts from Indiana State University and a Master of Fine Arts from the University of Mississippi.