Students remember 9/11 victims at vigil

Students remember 9/11 victims at vigil

Photo by Daniel RussellEmotions ran high as students gathered around the quad Wednesday night to pay respects to the victims lost during the 2001 Sept. 11 attacks.

Realizing the university had nothing planned in remembrance of the victims of Sept. 11, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. pulled together at the last minute to create the 9/11 Vigil.

“It kind of just hit us. Like hey, Sept. 11 is right around the corner; we should do something,” said Caprice Wright, a member of AKA. “My sisters came up with the idea and they presented to all of us at our meeting last week and we thought that it was just the greatest idea ever.”

The vigil began with a few words from Shayla Cockerm, president of the Theta Zeta chapter of AKA.

She spoke on 9/11 and the impact it’s had. The vigil then continued with a National Anthem rendition sung by sophomore English major, Antionette Turner. Candles were then lit in remembrance of the victims, a prayer was said and the candles were blown out.

Forensic psychology graduate student Calvin Stafford understands the importance of events such as the vigil.

“For me, my sister was in the military and my brother is currently in the Navy, so I find military holidays and Memorial Day really significant to my life,” said Stafford. “It could’ve been me, [it] could’ve been my family member who was killed in 9/11.”

Despite the time crunch, the ladies of AKA were able to successfully execute the vigil thanks to Student Life and Leadership, Alan Pitman, who helped with sound, and the support of the student body.