Dating coach teaches importance of ‘sexy confidence,’ loving yourself

The Campus Activities Board held their first leadership workshop of the year last Tuesday.

The workshop, “Sexy Confidence” aimed to provide students with the confidence to leave unhealthy relationships, and to pursue healthy relationships both personally and professionally.

Maggie Warren, coordinator of student development, said, “When you’re confident in yourself, you’re able to pursue healthy relationships. It’s about being confident in those everyday relationships you face.”

Adam LoDolce, a dating coach who has been featured in Cosmo, Glamour, Men’s Health and on the MTV series Made, presented at the workshop.

LoDolce talked about the importance of confidence and said that the first step to becoming more confident is to develop self-value.

“Be attracted to yourself to live a life full of love,” LoDolce said.

LoDolce said that shyness can be overcome through “outcome independence,” which means forgetting about what the outcome of a situation might be in order to remove all the pressure from a conversation.

He explained his “SOP of Ice Breaking,” meaning Simplify-Observe-Pattern Interrupt. LoDolce said a simple “hello” goes a long way, making a comment about something in the area is an easy way to begin a conversation and saying something out of the ordinary can make a lasting impression.

According to LoDolce, body language can affect interactions more than what is said in a conversation. He encourages students to give off a more inviting vibe by simply smiling, making eye contact or having better posture.

He encouraged students to meet more people by taking his 1-For-1 Challenge – to meet at least one new person every day.

“Meet new people. That’s where it all begins. Social fears are something that can be worked on, and everything else will come into place,” LoDolce said.

Almost 200 students attended the workshop, and many had a positive reaction to LoDolce’s advice and information.

Gabby Riviere, a junior education major, believes the information from the workshop will help her be more confident in the future.

“It will help me talk to people without being embarrassed by what they might or might not be thinking,” Riviere said.

CAB will offer another leadership workshop during Black History Month about tackling stereotypes called “Culture Shock.”