All Majors Career Fair brings wide range of companies

Photo by Robert BrownWith business representatives arriving from across the region, students arrived dressed to impress and with resumes in hand at the annual All Majors Career Fair Oct. 2.

A range of companies such as CenturyLink, Chase Bank and Hoak Media sought out future employees and interns, providing options for students in almost all majors.

While all classifications were encouraged to attend the fair, senior management major Baneita Smith felt it was most important for upperclassmen to go.

“I went my sophomore year just to see what it was about. I figured I had time to network later,” said Smith. “But there’s no going again next year. Graduation is right around the corner and it was critical for me to go and network this time.”

Smith is confident in the connections she made at the fair and said it’s an opportunity everyone should take.

But students weren’t the only ones there to network. ULM broke its participating company vendors record at the fair with 70 businesses in attendance.

KNOE 8 News has gained part-time workers and interns over the years from the fair.

News director Bob Walters said not only is it good to be able to talk to someone one-on-one, but it’s a good opportunity to meet candidates you may not have otherwise.

“You may find somebody that is going into PR or marketing that would never even look at a job site for a TV station,” Walters said.

He said the outcome of talking and building a relationship at the fair may be surprising.

“You may find that they can be some value to you and you can be some value to them.”